Episode 2: Welcome to Club 299 - My Autism Diagnosis
I did not receive my Autism diagnosis until my children were being diagnosed, and it took me a while to be ready to receive those diagnoses. When we did finally receive those diagnoses, we had a lot of challenges to work through—from finding the right supports for my youngest, who was also Hyperlexic, to addressing the health challenges that resulted from chronic masking and unaddressed mental health issues.
Be sure to listen to the previous episode in which I talk about my autistic childhood. You can listen to that episode here:
Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- When Babies Read by Audra Jensen
- Childhood Disrupted by Donna Jackson Nakazawa
- Your Body Speaks Your Mind by Deb Shapiro
- The Body Keeps Score by Bessel van der Kolk M.D.
- To learn more about hyperlexia please see this Wikipedia article
- To learn more about corn allergies please visit the Corn Allergy Girl website
I hope you had fun listening to today’s episode and gained some new insights into the wonderful variety of people in our world!
And remember, Special Needs Kids are People Too!